A Word From Our Senior Pastor
Welcome to Sanibel Community Church! We are a congregation of people from a wide range of ages, life experiences and faith backgrounds who are united in our love for Jesus, our commitment to one another, and our desire to understand the Bible and live out its teaching in our daily lives. SCC has been an integral part of the history of Sanibel Island for more than a century, and continues to play a vital role in the community today.
Whether you are a year-round local or week-long tourist, we welcome you to gather with us on Sunday mornings as we seek to know and worship the God who created the breathtaking beauty of Sanibel Island.
Welcome to the Sanibel Community Church web site. We are thankful that you have taken the time to review our site. We are a Church family that wants to live for Jesus Christ and demonstrate His love in the midst of a broken and hurting world. We are called to love Him with all we are and to share His love with those around us. We hope you will find and experience God in our midst.
Please let us know how we can help you. Our web site is designed to help you learn about our Church, our Church family, our beliefs and how you can begin to get involved.
If you are searching for a relationship with the Lord, or searching for a Church home, we would love to help you with your journey. Our fervent wish is to be God’s hands and feet, to reach out to you and to demonstrate His love in all we do and say. Please call if we can provide assistance with your personal journey.
You’ll receive a warm welcome … and gracious gift when you visit Sanibel Community Church for the first time. Come by our Connection Center and our friendly greeters will present you with an information packet.
At Sanibel Community Church we take seriously the words of Jesus that we are to make disciples of “all people.” That’s why we have ministries with children, youth, adults, and seniors. Look around our website and you will see opportunities for all ages to grow in Christ…and to serve Jesus in significant ways.
We invite you to come and worship with us at any of our services. We are a non-denominational congregation, and welcome people from any denomination.
10:00 a.m. in the Sanctuary
View the Sunday services via live Stream at 10 a.m. or later online
Find Our Church
Take Summerlin Road to the Sanibel Island Causeway Bridge. Summerlin will merge onto the bridge. At the first stop sign after crossing the bridge turn right onto Periwinkle Way. The Church is located at 1740 Periwinkle right after Jerry’s Grocery Store on the right side of Periwinkle Way.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Thursday 8 am – 4 pm
Sundays 8 am – 1 pm
Click here for printable Campus Map.
Statement of Faith
- About God: God is the creator and ruler of the universe. He has eternally existed in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. These three are coequal and are one God. (Genesis 1:26-27, Matthew 28:19, John 10:30, Ephesians 4:4-6)
- About Jesus Christ: Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He is coequal with the Father. Jesus lived a sinless human life and offered Himself as a perfect sacrifice for the sins of all people by dying on a cross. He rose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended into heaven’s glory and will return again someday to earth to reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords. (Matthew 1:22-23, Isaiah 9:6, John 1:1-5, Hebrews 4:14, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4, Acts 1:9-11, Romans 1:3-4, 1 Timothy 6:14-15, Titus 2:13)
- About the Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit is coequal with the Father and the Son of God. He is present in the world to make people aware of their need for Jesus Christ. He also lives in every Christian from the moment of salvation. He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth, and guidance in doing what is right. He gives every believer a spiritual gift when they are saved. As Christians, we seek to live under His control daily. (2 Corinthians 3:17, John 14:16-17, John 16:7-13, Acts 1:8, 1 Corinthians 2:12, Ephesians 1:13, Galatians 5:25, Ephesians 5:18, 1 Corinthians 12:1-11, Romans 12:6-8, Ephesians 4:11-12, 1 Peter 4:10)
- About the Bible: The Bible is God’s Word to us. It was written by human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because it is inspired by God, it is the truth without any mixture of error. (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20-21, 2 Timothy 1:13, Psalm 119:105-105, Psalm 12:6, Proverbs 30:5)
- About Human Beings: People are made in the spiritual image of God to be like Him in character: People are the supreme object of God’s creation. Although every person has the potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin.” This attitude separates people from God and causes many problems in life. (Genesis 1:27, Psalm 8:3-6, Isaiah 53:6, Romans 3:23, Isaiah 59:1-2)
- About Salvation: Salvation is God’s free gift to us but we must accept it. We can never make up for our sin by self-improvement or good works. Only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty. When one turns from self-ruled life and turns to Jesus in faith we are saved. Eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his or her life by faith. (Acts, 4:12, Romans 6:23, Ephesians 2:8 & 9, John 14:6, Titus 3:5, Galatians 3:26, Romans 5:1)
- About the Church: The Church is the people of God. It is the Body of Christ, called by God and empowered by the Holy Spirit to be the primary instrument for God’s redemptive purposes in history. The Church gathers as a family of faith to worship God, to grow in Christ, and to make Christ known to the world. (Matthew 16:13-19, Acts 2:42-44, 1 Corinthians 12:27, Ephesians 2:19-22, Ephesians 4:4-6, 1 Peter 2:9-10
- About Eternity: People were created to exist forever. We either exist eternally separated from God by sin or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is Eternal Life. Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence. (John 3:16-18, John 14:6, Romans 8:17-18, Revelation 20:15, 1 Corinthians 2:7-9)
Sanibel Community Church
We are a non-denominational community Church. While it is impossible for us to fully embrace and affirm the tenets of all denominations, we make every effort to be a place where people from a wide range of denominational backgrounds feel at home. In the midst of our denominational diversity, there are several Distinctives that are important to us.
We affirm a rich heritage of diverse expressions of worship. Here at Sanibel Community Church you will see worshipers witness a broad spectrum of Biblical expressions of praise and worship. (John 4:23-24)
We affirm that by the Holy Spirit, God imparts gifts to His people. In accordance with Scripture we affirm the operation of Spiritual gifts in His Church today. (1 Corinthians 12:1-11, Romans 12:6-8, Ephesians 4:11-12, 1 Peter 4:10)
We affirm Christian baptism. As a non-denominational Church, we accept people into membership who were baptized as infants or who received baptism by sprinkling or pouring; however, our practice of baptism is immersion of believers. We embrace God’s grace for children in the act of child dedication. (Matthew 28:19, Acts 2:38,41)
We affirm sexual purity. We consider sexual intimacy to be a precious gift of God to be experienced only in the covenant relationship of marriage between a man and a woman. We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning and that is marriage sanctioned by God which joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union, as delineated in Scripture. (Genesis 2:18-25. Ephesians 5:31, 1 Corinthians 6:18)
We affirm the sanctity of Life. God is the author of life and we join with Him in upholding the value of life. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including preborn babies, the aged, the physically and mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are proactive in promoting alternatives to abortion or euthanasia, proclaiming the sufficiency of God’s grace and mercy in the time of need. (Genesis 1:27, Psalm 127:3, 139:14, Exodus 20:13)
We affirm gender identity as male or female. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably created each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Genesis 1:26-27)
We affirm evangelism and missions. We are a Great Commission congregation. We are intentional in reaching these Islands for Christ … and beyond these Islands to the world with a serious commitment to World Missions, including the sending of Missions Teams. (Matthew 28:18-20, John 20:21)
We affirm the centrality of prayer. Daily, individuals and groups are praying. We encourage every follower of Christ to be devoted to prayer. (Matthew 6:5-15, Philippians 4:6, 1 Thessalonians 5:17)
We affirm the priesthood of all believers. We believe that every follower of Christ is a Minister, gifted, equipped and called to be involved in the extension of Christ’s Kingdom throughout the earth. (1 Peter 2:5-9)
We affirm spiritual growth through intentional discipleship and nurturing. Sanibel Community Church is a training center, equipping the Saints for the work of Ministry. Through Family Bible School, various courses and small group Bible studies, we intentionally assist in the process of growing in spiritual maturity. (Ephesians 4:15, Colossians 4:12, 2 Peter 3:18)
We affirm the priority of nurturing children and Youth. We come alongside the family to assist in the spiritual growth of children from cradle to adulthood. Our Family Bible School and LOGOS and H2O Programs are first-class disciple programs. (Proverbs 22:6)
We affirm the necessity of Christian Fellowship. We enjoy being together as God’s people, bearing one another’s burdens and sharing one another’s joys. Our Carpenter’s Café and Bookstore and courtyard fellowship time is an important time of connecting as Church family. Our small groups are not only an opportunity for spiritual growth, but a vital part of our Christian fellowship. (Hebrews 10:24-25, 1 John 4:11)
We affirm the unity of the Church. Our Covenant of Membership statement reflects our commitment to guard the unity of the Church. We affirm the unity of the local Church, as well as the whole Body of Christ throughout the earth. (1 Corinthians 1:10, 12:12-27, Ephesians 4:1-7)
We affirm mercy ministries expressing the compassionate care of Christ. We are committed to reaching out and administering the “cup of cold water” in Jesus’ Name. We are concerned about the needs of the total person: spiritually, emotionally, and physically. As Christ’s representatives, we will provide assistance to help meet these needs. (Matthew 9:36-38, 1 John 3:17, Proverbs 19:17)
Section I – Statements on Social Principles
I-1: Statements on Marriage, Gender and Sexuality:
We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God (Genesis 1:26-27). Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning; and, that is marriage sanctioned by God which joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union as delineated in Scripture (Genesis 2:18-25). We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other (1 Corinthians 6:18; 7:2-5; Hebrews 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of marriage between a man and a woman.
Because God has ordained marriage and defined it as the covenant relationship between a man, a woman and Himself, SCC will only recognize marriages between a biological man and a biological woman. Further, the Pastoral Staff and Staff of SCC shall only participate in weddings and solemnize marriages between one man and one woman. Finally, the facilities and property of SCC shall only host weddings between one man and one woman.
We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God (Matthew 15:18-20; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
We believe that, in order to preserve the function and integrity of SCC as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a Biblical role model to the SCC members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by SCC in any capacity, or who serve as leaders, agree to and abide by the Statements on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality (Matthew 5:16; Philippians 2:14-16; 1Thessalonians 5:22).
We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ (Acts 3:19-21; Romans 10:9-10;
1 Corinthians 6:9-11).
We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31). Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the Doctrines of SCC.
I-2: Statement on the Sanctity of Human Life:
We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including preborn babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are, therefore, called to defend, protect, and value all human life (Psalm 139).
How to Become a Christian
Do you have a life-changing relationship with Jesus Christ? He made it simple for us to get to know Him…to experience abundant life now…and eternal life to come.
It is as simple as ABC.
A=Acknowledge that you need Him and want Him in your life.
B=Believe that Jesus died on the cross and rose again for your salvation.
C=Commit your life to Him. Confess Him as Lord, and submit to His leadership.
Simply tell God you are sorry for your sins, and thank Him for sending His Son to die in your place. Repent, or turn from any sin that you know of in your life that is not pleasing to God. Put your trust (believe) in what Jesus has done for you on the cross. Invite Him to come into your life and change your life, as Lord of your life.
And now, tell someone that Jesus is now Lord of your life. Find a good Church that loves Jesus and honors His Word, the Bible. Grow in Christ, and you will grow in joy, peace and purposeful living!
Please feel free to call any of our pastors, or send us an e-mail, and we will be happy to answer any questions you might have. We can also mail out to you the little booklet, “Why Jesus” that really simply explains what it means to be a Christian.
How to Become a Member
Here at Sanibel Community Church we value the covenantal relationship of Church membership. Because we are serving the wonderful Islands of Sanibel and Captiva we offer a dual-membership for folks who are here only during the cooler months. Our process for membership includes a few important steps.
STEP 1: Contact Pastor Doug Hummer for information ([email protected]) or fill out your intent to join on our welcome card.
STEP 2: Attend a New Member Class
If the Lord is leading you to connect with Sanibel Community Church your next step is to come to a New Member Class to dig in deep about Church membership.
STEP 3: New Member Class Dates
For further questions about Church membership, please contact Pastor Doug Hummer by email at Dou[email protected] or by calling the Church office at 472-2684.
Were looking forward to you getting joyfully involved in the life of Sanibel Community Church, bringing glory to our Lord Jesus Christ!